News

Oyo School Abduction: Tension Rises as Gunmen Allegedly Kill Teacher, Makinde Launches Massive Security Offensive

0
Court blocks Oyo Govt’s accounts in four banks over 'N3.4bn debt'

Tension has escalated across Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State following reports that one of the teachers abducted during Friday’s coordinated attacks on two schools in the Ahoro-Esinele community has allegedly been killed by the kidnappers.

The tragic development has heightened fear among residents and relatives of the remaining victims, as families continue to await official confirmation from security authorities.

The abduction occurred when heavily armed gunmen, reportedly riding motorcycles, invaded Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School, whisking away teachers and pupils in a coordinated raid.

Community sources disclosed that about 46 persons were kidnapped during the attack, including seven teachers and 39 pupils and students.

The abducted teachers were identified as the principal of Community High School, Mrs Alamu Folawe; the vice principal, Mr Ojo Jonathan; Mr Olatunde Zacchaeus; Mr John Olaleye; Mr Michael Oyedokun; Mrs Oladeji; and Mary Akanbi of Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.

Residents further alleged that the attackers fled with four motorcycles stolen from the community.

The latest reports emerged shortly after a distress video surfaced online showing one of the abducted teachers, Mrs Alamu, pleading with the Federal Government, the Oyo State Government and compassionate Nigerians to assist in securing the victims’ release without the use of force.

Confirming the incident, Governor Seyi Makinde said one of the abducted teachers, believed to be a Mathematics teacher, was killed by the attackers while in captivity.

Speaking on Sunday night after a high-level security meeting at his Kolapo Ishola residence in Ibadan, the governor disclosed that the state had intensified coordinated security operations involving the police, military, Amotekun Corps, hunters and local security stakeholders.

“We have just concluded a review of the security situation following the abduction of some teachers and schoolchildren. Please be assured that the government is working round the clock to address this situation decisively,” Makinde stated.

He also revealed that security operatives sustained casualties during rescue operations after encountering improvised explosive devices (IEDs).

“One of the Amotekun operatives is currently in critical condition, while soldiers, hunters and other security personnel sustained injuries during the operation,” the governor said.

Makinde confirmed that six suspects had been arrested within the affected locality over alleged links to the attack, while three additional persons of interest were apprehended by another security agency.

According to him, some of those arrested are suspected informants and collaborators providing logistical support to the kidnappers.

The governor stressed that the state would no longer rely solely on military operations, noting that traditional rulers, religious leaders and community stakeholders were now actively involved in efforts to secure the victims’ release.

“We have decided that we will not rely solely on kinetic measures,” he said.

Makinde warned that criminal groups displaced by intensified military operations in Nigeria’s North-West and North-East regions were increasingly moving southward, posing fresh security threats to states in the South-West.

“We must ensure sustained government presence while continuing to pursue terrorists and bandits wherever they are,” he added.

He further announced that the state government would commence daily press briefings to keep residents informed about ongoing rescue efforts and developments surrounding the incident.

The governor, however, noted that authorities were still verifying the exact number of abducted pupils due to confusion that followed the attack, explaining that many parents rushed to schools to evacuate their children immediately after the invasion.

He assured residents that the government remained fully committed to rescuing the victims and restoring normalcy to the affected communities.

Mike Ojo

Minimum Wage Crisis Deepens as Labour Pushes for Fresh Pay Review Amid Non-Compliance by States

Previous article

Outrage Trails Sheikh Gumi’s Remarks on Kidnappers, Terror Financing

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in News