
The Lagos State Government has attributed the shortage of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) buses in the state to the sharp increase in the cost of replacing vehicles destroyed during the 2020 #EndSARS unrest.
Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat, disclosed this on Thursday during a question-and-answer session on Nigeria Info FM, where he addressed concerns over the state of public transportation and the availability of BRT buses.
Hamzat said the government initially purchased the BRT buses for about N80 million each, but the cost of acquiring a new bus has now risen to approximately N280 million.
He explained that the increase had made it difficult for the state to replace all the buses lost during the #EndSARS unrest.
“During #EndSARS, if you recall, 200 of those buses were burnt. We bought those buses at that time for N80 million per bus. Now, it’s about N280 million per one,” Hamzat said.
According to him, the state had also anticipated that some of its existing buses would eventually be withdrawn from service after seven or eight years, making replacement necessary as part of its transportation planning.
He, however, said the government had been unable to replace all the buses lost during the unrest, contributing to the shortage currently being experienced by commuters.
“Unfortunately, you know, we’ve not been able to replace all the 200, and that’s what we are seeing today,” he said.
The deputy governor’s claim of 200 buses destroyed during the unrest, however, differs from figures previously released by the Lagos State Government.
In April 2021, the then Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, said 80 BRT buses were destroyed during the violence.
The government said 23 large BRT buses were burnt in Ojodu, while 57 medium-sized buses were destroyed at Oyingbo, bringing the reported total to 80.
The destruction occurred during the violence that followed the October 2020 #EndSARS demonstrations, which began as protests against police brutality and calls for the disbandment of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
Several public and private facilities were subsequently attacked across Lagos, including the Oyingbo BRT terminal, where buses were set ablaze.
Addressing the current transportation challenges, Hamzat said the state government was encouraging greater participation from private operators.
He said private companies could acquire and deploy buses more quickly, while the government could provide support through fare subsidies to make transportation more affordable for residents.
“Thankfully, a lot of private sector people are also bringing in buses to make sure we must get it to a stage where private people actually bring in buses and then we subsidise the cost for people because private will be able to manage it better than us,” he said.
Hamzat argued that government should not necessarily be directly responsible for managing bus operations, noting that private operators could respond more quickly to changes in transportation demand.
“You know, government should not be in the business of managing buses and the rest because it becomes cumbersome before you get approval and all those things. But if it’s private, they are able to do it. They are nimble, they are faster,” he said.
The deputy governor added that the state was also expanding alternative transportation systems, including waterways and rail, as part of efforts to ease pressure on road transportation.
“We are bringing in ferries. Our train is working better. So, by the time we put all this together, then, you know, transportation will be better for everybody in Lagos,” Hamzat said.


















Comments