
The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has called on the South-East to rally behind President Bola Tinubu ahead of the 2027 general elections, warning that continued federal infrastructure development in the region could depend on such support.
Umahi made the remarks on Wednesday during an inspection tour of ongoing federal road and bridge projects in Ebonyi State, where he described the current scale of infrastructure investment in the South-East as unprecedented.
Among the projects inspected was the Calabar–Ebonyi–Benue–Nasarawa–Abuja Superhighway, which the minister identified as one of the Tinubu administration’s flagship legacy projects.
According to him, the section stretching from Ndibe Beach in Ebonyi State to the Ebonyi–Benue boundary spans approximately 123 kilometres and is being constructed with reinforced concrete pavement and solar-powered streetlights at a cost of about N454 billion.
He disclosed that the Federal Government had already released 50 per cent funding for the project, while approvals were underway for the dualisation of strategic sections of the highway.
Umahi also revealed that Section Two of the corridor, covering about 178 kilometres from the Ebonyi–Benue boundary through Benue, Kogi and Nasarawa states to Oweto Bridge, has a contract value of N685 billion.
Despite concerns over funding challenges faced by contractors, the minister assured that the Federal Government remained committed to fulfilling its obligations.
“The President has assured us that all contractors owed will be paid. Today, there is hardly any state in Nigeria without a construction site under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” he said.
The minister argued that communities benefitting from federal projects should reciprocate by supporting the President in the next election cycle.
“Last time, Afikpo people did not vote for APC. If they want this bridge completed, I will require 100 per cent of the votes. I am not asking for 99 per cent,” Umahi stated.
He maintained that only the Federal Government possessed the capacity to execute projects of such magnitude, adding that previous administrations merely used them as campaign promises.
“Only President Bola Ahmed Tinubu can build these roads and bridges. Past politicians used this bridge as campaign promises, but this President came and started the work without making noise about it,” he added.
Umahi further claimed that the South-East had regained political relevance under the current administration, citing both his appointment as Minister of Works and the spread of federal projects across the region.
“We shouted marginalisation before, but today no ministry is bigger than the Ministry of Works, and it is being headed by an Igbo man. The President has integrated the South-East into the mainstream of Nigerian politics,” he said.
The former governor of Ebonyi State also urged political leaders in the region to openly campaign for the President and educate residents on the administration’s achievements.
“I challenge all leaders supporting the President to speak out openly. Our people need to hear the truth about what this administration is doing in the South-East,” he said.
Umahi projected that significant portions of the projects would be completed before the end of the year and appealed to South-East voters to prioritise strategy over sentiment in the 2027 elections.
“This election is not a lottery. The presidency is not won by sentiment but by strategic planning. We must support the President to complete these projects and secure greater opportunities for the South-East,” he stated.
He further declared that Ebonyi State would deliver overwhelming support for Tinubu in 2027.
“We will shock the nation in Ebonyi State because we will deliver 95 per cent of our votes to President Tinubu. The last election outcome was an accident of history, and it will not repeat itself,” Umahi declared.



















Comments