News

Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail as Family Alleges DSS Re-Arrest

0

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday granted a ₦100 million bail to the immediate past governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, who is facing trial over the alleged unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

However, shortly after the ruling, fresh controversy erupted as members of El-Rufai’s family alleged that operatives of the Department of State Services took him into custody despite existing court orders directing that he remain under the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.

Delivering the ruling, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik imposed stringent bail conditions on the former governor. The court ordered him to produce a surety who must be a federal civil servant not below Grade Level 17 and resident in either Maitama or Asokoro districts of Abuja.

The surety is also required to deposit the original Certificate of Occupancy of a landed property valued at not less than the bail sum, alongside evidence of salary payments for at least three months and an authenticated letter from a bank manager within the court’s jurisdiction.

Additionally, the court directed the surety to submit an affidavit of means, a recent passport photograph, a verification letter from the surety’s department and a six-month tax clearance certificate.

Justice Abdulmalik further ordered El-Rufai to surrender his international passports and barred him from travelling outside the country without the court’s permission. He was also directed to report to the DSS headquarters every last Friday of the month by 10 a.m. to sign an attendance register pending the determination of the case.

The judge warned that any violation of the bail conditions would lead to an automatic revocation of the bail and subsequently ordered an accelerated hearing of the matter.

Family Raises Alarm Over Alleged DSS Detention

Speaking to journalists outside the DSS facility, El-Rufai’s second wife, Hasiat, alleged that the family had been subjected to intimidation, threats and surveillance since the former governor’s arrest.

“We now live in constant fear. Every day we get threats that DSS, ICPC or the police are coming to raid our house. We are being followed and our phones are tapped,” she alleged.

According to her, El-Rufai had appeared before the Federal High Court earlier in the day where he was granted bail before being briefly taken to the DSS facility during a court recess.

She claimed the former governor resisted the move, insisting that two subsisting court orders from Kaduna directed that he remain in ICPC custody.

“He said he was not a furniture to be moved around because there were court orders directing that he should remain with the ICPC,” she said.

Hasiat further alleged that after the afternoon court session, El-Rufai was again taken to the DSS facility instead of being returned to ICPC custody, adding that he refused to step out of the vehicle upon arrival.

ICPC Defends Actions

Reacting to allegations of rights violations, the ICPC denied claims that El-Rufai was denied food, medical attention or subjected to degrading treatment while in custody.

Addressing journalists at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja, ICPC spokesperson, Mr. John Okor Odey, said the agency merely enforced its established internal regulations governing access to detainees.

“The court said access should be granted, but not outside our regulations. The court did not say anybody can walk in here claiming they want to see Mallam Nasir El-Rufai,” Odey stated.

The commission explained that visitor access to its detention facility closes at 6:30 p.m., noting that one of El-Rufai’s wives reportedly arrived after the approved visiting hours to deliver food.

According to the ICPC, records showed that El-Rufai received visits from family members and domestic staff several times earlier in the day.

ADC Accuses FG of Political Persecution

Meanwhile, the African Democratic Congress condemned the former governor’s ordeal, accusing the Federal Government of turning him into a political prisoner.

In a statement signed by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, the ADC described the case as “political persecution dressed up as prosecution.”

“What is happening to Mallam El-Rufai confirms beyond all doubt that this detention is no longer about justice, it is about politics,” the statement read.

The opposition party alleged that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu was using state institutions to suppress prominent opposition figures.

ADC also compared El-Rufai’s case with those involving former governors Yahaya Bello and Ifeanyi Okowa, both of whom are facing separate corruption allegations.

The party argued that while other politically connected figures remain free, El-Rufai was allegedly being singled out because of his opposition stance against the current administration.

Mike Ojo

African Development Bank Group Approves $200m Facility for Bank of Industry to Drive Nigeria’s Industrial Growth

Previous article

NDC Closes Presidential Form Sale as Peter Obi Emerges Sole Aspirant for 2027 Ticket

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in News