We have noted with utmost concern a newspaper publication calling out the Executive Chairman of Isolo LCDA, Olasoju Adebayo for allegedly feigning ignorance in a matter of unsubstantiated allegation of extortion by taskforce supposedly working for our council. The said publication captioned; “Isolo LG Feigns Ignorance As Council Thugs Extort Septuagenarian, Others” published in Saturday 22nd July 2023 edition of Punch newspaper is inaccurate, false and unfounded to say the least and we hereby say thus:
1. We are not unaware of fact the that enforcing traffic laws and collecting fines for traffic offenses are under the exclusive purview of the state government and our council is very much abreast of the suspension of the M.O.T Taskforce operations. We will like to unequivocally state that the council has no traffic law enforcement agents under whatever name and has no taskforce office in Okota or any other area office in the LCDA.
2. The condemnable act is most likely to have been perpetrated by unscrupulous elements who are only out to malign the image of the council authority by playing the script of their political lords in the opposition.
4. Dubbing the perpetrators of this alleged dastardly act “Council Thugs” is an expression we take exception to as the council does not encourage crime and criminality in any form. Pointers to this are the recent donation of a operations/patrol vehicle to local vigilante group, the regular support given to police divisions in the council area and donation of a Hummer Bus to the police Lagos command anti-cultism unit, among others to help in the fight against crime of any sort. There are bad eggs in every society of the world and it is mischievous of PUNCH Newspaper to have tagged the urchins “Council Thugs” after the Council authority had unambiguously distanced itself from them.
4. It is on record that the council authority swiftly set up a committee to look into the issue immediately the Deputy Chief Press Secretary, Damilola Kushimo brought the attention of the Chairman to the allegation after the Punch Correspondent, Gbenga Oloniniran called for an investigation on Monday, 17th July 2023.
5. The committee, headed by the Supervisor for Special Duties, Evangelist Oluwole Idowu swung to action immediately by launching efforts to unravel the identities of the miscreants and bring them to books.
6. The supposed victim, Mr. Dotun Falua has been contacted and invited over to help the committee in their investigation.
7. Finally, we appeal to the management/Editorial Board of Punch Newspaper and other media organisations to exercise caution in dishing out inciteful contents about our local council or any other as that will not be in the best interest of the nation. We remain open to any action that could have the bad elements apprehended.
Rasheed Iskilu Alao
Chief Press Secretary to the Council Chairman
Mon. 24th July 2023.