Metro Plus

13-year-old takes own life after torture in Kaduna


A 13-year-old boy, Wisdom Hashimu, has died by suicide in the Ungwan Maigero Community in the Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

The incident reportedly happened on Thursday, June 7, after a soldier and members of the Civilian Joint Task Force in the area tortured the deceased.

The late Wisdom who carried out the act in the family’s compound on Lafiya Sarki Street was said to have been falsely accused of stealing N10,000 from a neighbour on June 1.

In a report on Channels TV, the 16-year-old neighbour, identified simply as Hope, was said to have invited her boyfriend, Segun Samson, who is a serving soldier at Bodi Camp in Port-Harcourt, the Rivers State capital.

However, the money went missing during the visit, thereby prompting Hope to involve his boyfriend who dragged Wisdom and her brother to the Civilian JTF office.

Wisdom, who was sitting for his Junior Secondary School examination, was reportedly severely beaten to a pulp by a soldier and members of the civilian JTF.

Wisdom’s father, Mr Saul, who spoke to the news medium said, “Rather than report to the police, the soldier was said to have dragged Wisdom and Hope’s brother, both accused of stealing the money, to the civilian JTF office.

“At the civilian JTF office, Wisdom was severely beaten to the point where he was unable to walk. He returned home after receiving medical attention.”

Tragedy however struck on Thursday after Wisdom’s lifeless body was found hanging on a noose at the back of their compound.

According to the grieving father, the Civilian JTF took the law into their own hands by torturing Wisdom.

“But, beyond my wildest imagination, the Civilian JTF only beat Wisdom to the point of coma while Hope’s younger brother was spared and returned home unscathed.

“After interrogation at home, her (Hope’s) younger brother confessed to the crime. When he was searched, N9,000 was found in his pocket, and he said he had spent N1,000 already,” he added.

The family therefore demanded justice over the torture that supposedly led to the suicide committed by their late son.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mansir Hassan, said investigation had begun into the matter.

“An investigation has since commenced. The Commissioner of Police has directed the Department of Criminal Investigation to take full charge of the case and whosoever is involved will be brought to justice.”

Mike Ojo

Nigerian Pilgrim Welcomes Baby Boy in Makkah During Hajj

Previous article

Diageo Sells Majority Stake in Guinness Nigeria to Tolaram

Next article

You may also like


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Metro Plus