The Lagos State Government has condemned the disruption of traffic along the CMS–Lekki–Epe Expressway by some mini-bus operators, popularly known as korope, describing the action as a violation of prior agreements reached with transport unions.
In a statement issued by the Ministry of Transportation, the government said the traffic blockage occurred on Tuesday, February 17, and Wednesday, February 18, 2026, despite months of consultations with key stakeholders in the sector.
The state disclosed that extensive engagements had been held with the two major transport unions — the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) and the Road Transport Employers Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) — ahead of the implementation of reforms on the Lekki–Epe corridor.
Speaking on the development, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Transportation, Hon. Sola Giwa, said the protest undermines the Bus Reform Initiative (BRI), a programme aimed at improving public transportation services along the busy axis.
He noted that the disruptions run contrary to agreements earlier reached with union leaders, stressing that the government remains committed to ensuring safe, efficient, and structured transport services for residents.
“The government has worked closely with all stakeholders to provide safe and efficient transportation for Lagos residents. We strongly encourage all operators to comply with the reform in the interest of commuters and the state,” Giwa stated.
The Bus Reform Initiative, first introduced in 2024, seeks to restructure public transportation on major corridors across the state. Key components of the reform include the deployment of high-capacity buses, relocation of mini-buses to inner arterial roads, introduction of electronic ticketing, regulation of operations, and strengthened security along designated routes.
At a stakeholders’ meeting held on June 27, 2024, a formal agreement outlining the reform framework was endorsed by the Ministry of Transportation and the state leadership of NURTW and RTEAN. A subsequent meeting on December 2, 2025, fixed December 8, 2025, as the official commencement date of the initiative.
The first phase of the reform covers four major routes: Ajah–CMS (Marina)/Obalende, Ajah–Oshodi, Ajah–Berger, and Ajah–Iyana Ipaja. Under the new arrangement, a designated operator provides express services, while others run regular stopping services within the corridor.
Participating buses are painted in the standard Lagos State blue-and-white colour scheme and equipped with QR-coded PTCS verification stickers, unique identification numbers, and Touch and Pay (TAP) payment systems. Drivers are also mandated to display official Ministry badges to enhance accountability and build commuter trust.
Giwa reaffirmed the state’s resolve to formalise transport operations, improve commuter comfort, enhance safety, and maintain fare stability. He added that while the government remains open to dialogue, non-compliance with the Bus Reform Initiative will attract strict enforcement measures.
According to the state government, the success of the reform depends largely on the cooperation of all transport operators, as Lagos continues its drive toward a safer and more efficient urban transport system.


















Comments