The Deputy President of the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), Comrade Olujide Kilanko, on Tuesday told a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) how he was allegedly attacked by a former chairman of the Petroleum Tanker Drivers (PTD) branch, Comrade Lucky Osesua, and about 20 others at the union’s national secretariat in Abuja.
Osesua and 20 co-defendants are standing trial before Justice Yusuf Halilu of the FCT High Court, Maitama, in suit number FCT/HC/CR/042/2023. They face a five-count charge bordering on attempted murder, breach of peace and assault. All the defendants pleaded not guilty.
The prosecution alleged that on November 1, 2023, the defendants attacked the NUPENG President, William Akporeha; the union’s Secretary-General, Olawale Afolabi; and the then PTD National Chairman, Augustine Egbon (now deceased), in a manner likely to cause their death.
Testifying as the third prosecution witness (PW3), Kilanko recounted that he arrived at the PTD-NUPENG secretariat located at No. 50 Majekodunmi Crescent, Utako, Abuja, alongside Akporeha, Afolabi and Egbon on the morning of the incident.
According to him, the gate was not opened upon arrival as usual. He said that while attempting to gain entry, he sighted Osesua and several others at the premises. Shortly after, he noticed more individuals allegedly approaching with stones, sticks and broken concrete blocks.
Kilanko told the court that as tensions escalated, he tried to move through the pedestrian gate, during which Afolabi was allegedly restrained at the security entrance.
He further alleged that he was assaulted inside the premises and sustained injuries to his legs and lips. He said he was later struck at the back of the head with an object he believed to be a stone or wood, causing him to lose consciousness.
The witness stated that after regaining consciousness, he attempted to flee the scene. He claimed his effort to escape in a nearby vehicle was thwarted when some of the defendants allegedly smashed the windscreen and dragged him out of the car, beating him further until someone cautioned that he could die.
Kilanko said he eventually escaped on a tricycle and was later taken to a private hospital by a union member who responded to his distress call. He added that police officers subsequently visited the hospital and recorded his statement.
The prosecuting counsel, David Kaswe, tendered the witness’s hospital card and police statement, which were admitted in evidence.
Under cross-examination by defence counsel, Christopher Oshomegie, SAN, Kilanko stated that he could not recall the number or names of doctors who treated him. He also explained that his police statement was less detailed than his oral testimony because he was exhausted at the time it was taken.
Earlier in the proceedings, the prosecution sought a revocation of Osesua’s bail, alleging a breach of bail conditions. The defence opposed the application, arguing that the request was unjustified and that the defendants had committed no further offence.
Justice Halilu held that the prosecution was within its rights to draw the court’s attention to any alleged breach of bail conditions, noting that bail is a constitutional right subject to compliance with court-imposed terms. He stated that the mere filing of an application to revoke bail does not automatically result in its approval.
The court subsequently adjourned the matter to April 28 for continuation of trial.


















Comments