News

Gumi Denounces Alleged Pro-Banditry Statements, Threatens Legal Action Against Purveyors of False Claims

0
[BREAKING] Banditry: DSS summons Sheikh Gumi

Prominent Islamic cleric, Ahmad Abubakar Mahmoud Gumi, has strongly denied allegations linking him to statements supporting banditry in Nigeria, describing the claims as false, manipulated, and malicious.

In a statement posted on his verified Facebook page on Saturday, Gumi said some of his media interviews on insecurity and banditry had been deliberately distorted by what he described as “ethnic-interest groups, individuals driven by prejudice, and sectional internet content creators.”

According to the cleric, the individuals involved were circulating “sensational and outrageous headlines” aimed at attracting public attention and online traffic at the expense of national peace and the suffering of victims of violence.

Gumi stated unequivocally that he had never, at any time, supported, justified, or advocated banditry in Nigeria or elsewhere.

“I hereby state unequivocally that any video clip, written statement, or message attributed to me, whether directly or by innuendo, suggesting support for, justification of, protection of, or advocacy for banditry in Nigeria or anywhere else does not emanate from me,” he said.

Describing himself as a loyal citizen committed to Nigeria’s unity and progress, Gumi urged the public, media organisations, and government authorities to disregard any manipulated materials being circulated against him.

“I, therefore, urge the general public, the media, and the Nigerian state to disregard such fake, manipulated, and doctored materials currently in circulation,” he added.

The cleric also warned that individuals or groups who continue to spread what he termed falsehoods against him would face legal consequences.

He further expressed hope for national healing and lasting peace, while sympathising with victims affected by insecurity across the country.

“I sincerely hope that our great nation will heal, and that all victims affected by this violence will find comfort in the collective determination of the nation and the international community to achieve a lasting solution to the insecurity fueled over time by ignorance, poverty, and widespread social injustice,” Gumi stated.

Meanwhile, in a separate remark addressing growing security concerns in the South-West, a regional leader called for urgent collective action to prevent insecurity from escalating across Yorubaland.

“It is high time we stopped this cancer that is spreading its virus across Yorubaland. We must act now before the situation becomes unbearable,” the statement read.

The leader added that governors in the region would jointly determine the date, venue, and time for a forthcoming security meeting aimed at addressing the rising concerns.

Mike Ojo

Court Ruling Against INEC Deadline a Victory for Democracy — IPAC

Previous article

Taraba Court Clears Ex-LG Officials of N104m Fraud Charges

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in News