
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed reports suggesting the existence of a terrorist base in Nigeria’s South-West region, insisting that ongoing military operations are focused on rescuing abducted victims and eliminating criminal elements behind recent attacks in Oyo State.
The clarification was made on Tuesday in Abuja by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major-General Michael Onoja.
Onoja, while reacting to the recent abduction attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, said the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Olufemi Oluyede, had extended condolences to the Oyo State Government, affected families, and communities impacted by the incident.
He described the abduction of schoolchildren and staff as “reprehensible,” assuring Nigerians that the Armed Forces had deployed all necessary resources to secure the safe and unconditional release of the victims.
“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe return of all abducted victims,” Onoja stated.
The defence spokesman urged citizens to remain calm and continue supporting security agencies with credible intelligence, stressing that the military had previously carried out extensive clearance operations within the Old Oyo National Park, where several criminal elements were neutralised.
According to him, intelligence gathered from ongoing operations does not support claims that any organised or entrenched terrorist structure exists in the South-West.
“The incident in Oyo State remains an isolated criminal act and does not indicate the presence of an entrenched insurgent structure in the region,” he said.
He warned against spreading narratives capable of creating panic among residents or emboldening criminal groups.
Onoja further disclosed that troops had already established contact with the kidnappers and were sustaining aggressive pursuit operations across forest corridors in the affected areas.
He added that joint security operations involving other security agencies and local vigilante groups were ongoing to flush out the perpetrators and restore normalcy.
The DHQ spokesman also emphasised the importance of community cooperation, noting that timely and credible human intelligence from residents remained vital to the success of ongoing rescue efforts.
“The Armed Forces will not relent until all abducted victims are rescued and those responsible are brought to justice,” he added.


















Comments