News

Trump Unveils ‘Board of Peace’ With $5bn Gaza Pledge, Exclude UK, Canada and France

0

WASHINGTON — US President Donald Trump is set to convene nearly two dozen world leaders in Washington on Thursday to formally inaugurate the “Board of Peace,” a newly created institution initially focused on Gaza but framed by the White House as a platform with wider global ambitions.

The meeting follows a ceasefire brokered in October by the United States in partnership with Qatar and Egypt, aimed at halting two years of intense fighting in Gaza. US officials say the truce has now entered a second phase centered on the disarmament of Hamas, the Palestinian militant group whose October 7, 2023 attack on Israel triggered a large-scale Israeli military response.

According to Gaza’s health ministry, which operates under Hamas authorities, at least 601 people have been killed by Israeli forces since the ceasefire began.

At the inaugural session, Trump is expected to outline financial commitments exceeding $5 billion for Gaza’s reconstruction. Much of the enclave remains in ruins, with the vast majority of buildings damaged or destroyed. The president has previously floated the idea of large-scale redevelopment projects, including potential resort-style investments.

A key agenda item will be the establishment of an International Stabilization Force tasked with maintaining security in Gaza. Indonesia, the world’s largest Muslim-majority country, has indicated it is prepared to contribute up to 8,000 troops if the force is formally constituted. Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto is expected to participate in the discussions.

Disarmament at the Forefront

Senior US officials, including Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff, have said progress is being made in pressuring Hamas to relinquish its weapons.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has emphasized the need to remove small arms from the group, describing assault rifles such as the AK-47 as central to Hamas’ operational capacity. Israel will be represented at the meeting by its foreign minister.

Jeremy Issacharoff, a strategic affairs expert at Reichman University in Israel, said that while dismantling Hamas’ arsenal would be complex, Israel would be watching closely for a credible framework that could determine whether the initiative is viable.

In a move toward restructuring governance in Gaza, a technocratic committee led by engineer and former official Ali Shaath was formed last month to oversee day-to-day administration.

Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem has urged the new body to pressure Israel to end what he described as ongoing violations and to lift the long-standing blockade on the territory.

Structure and Criticism

The “Board of Peace” will be headquartered in the building that formerly housed the US Institute of Peace, an independent conflict-resolution body whose staff were dismissed earlier this year as part of the administration’s restructuring efforts.

Under White House guidelines, Trump will retain veto authority over the board’s decisions and may continue as its head after leaving office. Countries seeking permanent membership beyond an initial two-year term would be required to contribute $1 billion.

Administration officials have indicated that although Gaza is the immediate focus, the board could eventually address other global flashpoints.

Critics have questioned both the scope and governance model of the initiative. Bruce Jones, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, described the concept as lacking intellectual coherence, calling it “a confused mix of ambition and narcissism.”

The launch comes amid a broader recalibration of US engagement with multilateral institutions. The Trump administration has reduced funding to several United Nations bodies and withdrawn from key international agreements.

Attendance Reflects Shifting Alliances

Among those attending the inaugural meeting are Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban and Argentine President Javier Milei, both seen as ideological allies of Trump.

Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is also expected to participate, as Islamabad seeks stronger US backing amid ongoing tensions with India.

However, several longstanding US allies will not be represented, including France and Canada. Japan has yet to commit to formal participation and is sending a Gaza envoy instead.

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva declined the invitation, arguing that any such body should focus strictly on Gaza and include Palestinian representation. He previously criticized the initiative as resembling “a new UN where only one leader holds ownership.”

The success of the “Board of Peace” will likely hinge on whether it can translate ambitious pledges into tangible progress on the ground in Gaza — and whether its broader aspirations gain international legitimacy.

Mike Ojo

Over 1,000 Kenyans Recruited into Russian Army Amid Ukraine War, Intelligence Report Reveals

Previous article

ARTETA FUMES AS ARSENAL’S TITLE DREAMS STUMBLE IN WOLVES DRAW

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in News