News

Ex-NYSC DG Recounts 56-Day Ordeal in Kidnappers’ Den

0

After spending nearly two months in the hands of terrorists, retired Brigadier-General Maharazu Tsiga, a former Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), has finally regained his freedom and lived to tell the chilling tale of survival, torture, and the ever-present threat of death in the forests of Katsina State.

Tsiga, who was abducted from his hometown of Tsiga in Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State on February 5, 2025, was among 19 victims rescued by security forces and formally handed over to the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, on Wednesday.

The handover ceremony took place in Abuja and was conducted by the Coordinator of the National Counter-Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Maj.-Gen. Adamu Laka. Among the rescued were also a former Nigerian ambassador, Gideon Yohanna, and other civilians who had been held in various hideouts by the terrorists.

Speaking to journalists after his release, the septuagenarian military veteran gave a harrowing account of the 56 days he spent in captivity, including how he and other hostages narrowly escaped being devoured by wild hyenas just a day before their release.

“A day before I left there — the day before yesterday — we were on the mountain where they kept us. Suddenly, we looked around and saw hyenas surrounding us, parading and sniffing for food. And what was the food? Us, human beings,” Tsiga said.

He revealed that the hostages were fed only once a day, mostly with food harmful to his health condition. “I am hypertensive, and all they had was salt. Even if you’re not a doctor, you know that people with high blood pressure should not take much salt,” he said. “Now, look at me; I cannot even climb these stairs. It’s because of the beatings and the food we were given.”

Beyond the constant hunger and physical abuse, the captives also endured terrifying encounters with dangerous wildlife, including snakes and scorpions that frequently crept into their hiding spots. Tsiga described the physical and emotional toll of the experience as deeply traumatizing.

But perhaps most shocking was Tsiga’s account of how the terrorists used high-profile captives as human shields during aerial strikes by the Nigerian Air Force. According to him, whenever military aircraft approached, the kidnappers would push the hostages into the open to deter airstrikes.

“Whenever they were being attacked, they would bring us out to use us as human shields so that the aircraft would not strike them,” he explained. “But God is merciful. The NSA has said it, the CDS has said it — the good ones will continue to live.”

In one particularly disturbing incident, Tsiga recounted how a rocket was planted where he slept. “They carried that rocket and placed it exactly where I was lying. Their plan was that once I moved or touched it, it would explode. But God saved me.”

The retired general added that the kidnappers believed that government officials, especially those in uniform, were always flush with cash, which led them to violently break into his house in search of money.

“They believe we keep government money. When they couldn’t find anything, they used explosives to break into my house,” he said.

He also spoke on the mindset of the terrorists, describing them as godless and driven solely by greed. “They don’t fear God. They would say, ‘Don’t call God here, just give us money.’ But the moment they hear aircraft, they panic. Even their cows start running.”

Despite the trauma, Tsiga urged Nigerians to be more proactive in supporting the country’s security architecture. He emphasized that security was not solely the responsibility of the government but a shared duty that required citizens to supply timely and credible intelligence.

“We should not sit down and believe that the government alone can do it. We must all contribute. Our security forces are not magicians — they rely on good information to act effectively.”

Also speaking at the handover, Ambassador Gideon Yohanna, former Deputy Head of Mission in Pretoria, South Africa, expressed deep gratitude to the Office of the National Security Adviser, the Chief of Defence Staff, and various security agencies for their coordinated efforts that led to their freedom.

“While in captivity, we kept hearing about other rescues. It gave us hope. We are deeply thankful to the security agencies for their quiet and tireless work behind the scenes,” Yohanna said.

He acknowledged recent improvements in security across volatile regions such as Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina, and Niger states, noting that the efforts of the military and intelligence agencies were beginning to yield results.

The rescue of Brig.-Gen. Tsiga and other hostages adds to the growing list of successful operations by Nigerian security forces in recent months, reinforcing hope in the nation’s fight against terrorism and banditry. However, Tsiga’s ordeal serves as a grim reminder of the dangers that still lurk in many parts of the country, and the urgent need for sustained collective action in the face of rising insecurity.

As the dust settles on this latest rescue, the message is clear: while the war on terror is far from over, every effort — from the soldier on the frontline to the civilian who reports suspicious activity — matters in reclaiming Nigeria’s peace.

Mike Ojo

Olukoyede Reaffirms EFCC’s Commitment to Economic Growth

Previous article

Trump’s 14% Tariff Threatens Nigeria’s $10bn US Exports

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in News